http://www.wral.com/route-for-wake-toll-road-clears-major-environmental-hurdle/17208262/
Building NC 540
Building NC 540 provides updates on the planning and construction of NC 540 in southern and eastern Wake County.
Saturday, December 23, 2017
FHWA approves final NC 540 EIS
Friday, March 10, 2017
Inside the state's massive $2.2B 'Complete 540' project
from the Triangle Business Journal, January 20, 2017
The 540 Loop – a project the N.C. Department of Transportation has been mulling for more than a decade – has at least three years to go before its southern section can move forward, according to a new project timeline.
But, as crews work off that directive, others are pushing for an acceleration of activity.
read article
Lauren K. OhnesorgeStaff WriterTriangle Business Journal
Friday, January 6, 2017
540 loop extension in southern Wake won’t start construction until 2020
The extension of the Interstate 540 freeway loop east
through southern Wake County won’t get started for at least three years,
although the timeline for another section of the road has been sped up.
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article124695059.html#storylink=cpy
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article124695059.html
The
N.C. Department of Transportation had hoped to start construction in
2018, but the agency’s proposed 10-year road construction schedule
released this week has pushed back the project to 2020.
DOT officials say the change is needed for design and planning work on the project, which will extend the six-lane toll road from N.C. 55 in Holly Springs to U.S. 401 between Garner and Fuquay-Varina.
DOT officials say the change is needed for design and planning work on the project, which will extend the six-lane toll road from N.C. 55 in Holly Springs to U.S. 401 between Garner and Fuquay-Varina.
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article124695059.html#storylink=cpy
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article124695059.html
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
New Solar Farm on Old Baucom Road
From the Triangle Business Journal, Oct 28, 2016, 5:15pm EDT
The city of Raleigh plans to lease more than 50 acres of land for a solar farm – more than
least initially, would be sold to Charlotte-based Duke Energy.
While Kenny Waldroup, assistant director of public utilities with the city, points out that the
plan is good for the environment, it really boils down to good business, he says. He says a typical
agriculture lease of the site is $44 per acre, or just more than $2,300 for the entire parcel.
The solar farm would be implemented along a section of land near the Neuse River Resource Recovery Facility, located south of Old Baucom Road and west of Mial Plantation Road. And, while the request for proposals went out last year, discussions about deploying solar at the site have been ongoing for several years, Waldroup says.
PVN Management, the firm tapped to develop the property, would pay city coffers significantly more.
“Once the lease terms are enacted, it will result in $87,500 for all 53 acres per year, with a 1.5
percent escalator,” he explains, adding that there’s also an option in the future to take the
facility off the grid. The nearby wastewater treatment plant uses between 6 and 8 megawatts of

Lauren K. Ohnesorge
Staff Writer
Triangle Business Journal
Friday, September 23, 2016
Wake board turns down Shotwell Landfill request
RALEIGH
After neighbors protested, Wake commissioners on Monday unanimously
denied a request by Shotwell Landfill that would have quadrupled the
amount of waste the landfill could take in during a year.
It marks the third time since 2011 commissioners have turned away expansion requests by the company.
Owners of the 133-acre landfill on Smithfield Road near Wendell wanted the limit on its daily intake of construction debris increased to 1,000 tons, increasing the pace at which the landfill would reach capacity. They also wanted approval to accept debris from beyond just Wake and Johnston counties – opening its doors to Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett, Nash and Orange counties.
<more>

Owners of the 133-acre landfill on Smithfield Road near Wendell wanted the limit on its daily intake of construction debris increased to 1,000 tons, increasing the pace at which the landfill would reach capacity. They also wanted approval to accept debris from beyond just Wake and Johnston counties – opening its doors to Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett, Nash and Orange counties.
<more>
Sunday, September 11, 2016
Shotwell Landfill will ask Wake County for fewer restrictions
EASTERN WAKE COUNTY
Shotwell Landfill is requesting approval to accept more waste and
from more counties, similar to the proposals Wake County commissioners
have dumped twice in recent years.
The new request is scheduled to go before the county commission on Tuesday, Sept. 6.
The 133-acre, privately-owned landfill on Smithfield Road south of Knightdale and Wendell currently accepts construction and demolition waste, only from Wake and Johnston counties.
It wants to add Orange County and the remaining counties contiguous to Wake – Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett and Nash – to its service territory.
The landfill also wants to quadruple its daily disposal limit, from 250 to 1,000 tons of waste.
Keith Johnson, a lawyer with the Raleigh law firm of Poyner-Spruill, represents Shotwell Landfill. He says the request does not call for an expansion of the facility or ask for the ability to accept any new kinds of waste. <more>
The new request is scheduled to go before the county commission on Tuesday, Sept. 6.
The 133-acre, privately-owned landfill on Smithfield Road south of Knightdale and Wendell currently accepts construction and demolition waste, only from Wake and Johnston counties.
It wants to add Orange County and the remaining counties contiguous to Wake – Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett and Nash – to its service territory.
The landfill also wants to quadruple its daily disposal limit, from 250 to 1,000 tons of waste.
Keith Johnson, a lawyer with the Raleigh law firm of Poyner-Spruill, represents Shotwell Landfill. He says the request does not call for an expansion of the facility or ask for the ability to accept any new kinds of waste. <more>
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/eastern-wake-news/article91691572.html#storylink=cpy
Thursday, June 30, 2016
NC 540 Prefered corridor selected
In April 2016, NCDOT announced they had selected a preferred study corridor for Southeast Outer loop. For more information, go to <Map>.
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
NC-540 Plan To Affect Residents, Businesses & Wetlands
Time Warner News (RALEIGH) 2/3/2016 - Reaction is reeling in after transportation officials reveal their preferred path to finish the I-540 outer loop.
The Triangle Expressway will span from NC 55 Bypass in Apex to the US 64/US 264 Bypass in Knightdale. Some say the orange route would damage some wetlands and endanger marine life.But DOT officials say the picked paths have the least impact of the original suggested routes.Officials say 270 families could be impacted by this alternative and nearly a dozen businesses.Federal officials will review the plans first, before a final recommendation is announced in the spring.Read more <here>
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)